Thursday, April 27, 2006

So close

November 2002

After arriving in Central, it wasn't long before I found myself at the foot of a steep hill. My recollection of the taxi ride the night before, led me to believe that I needed to be heading upwards. And for some reason I just felt this to be the right direction. I decided to trust my instinct.

Before long, I came to what I later learned is the biggest escalator in the world. It seemed to go on forever, and a couple of times I felt the urge to abandon my quest.

What was my quest? I had no idea.

At the end of the escalator, I continued on foot, passing shops and restaurants, into what was obviously a more residential area. Nothing looked familiar. Why did I think it would?

Then as hope was beginning to fail, I came to the steps of a building that just seemed right. After initial hesitation, I rang the bell, and was greeted by two security guards. 'Maggie?' I said. They looked at me blankly.

After repeating the question several times, I realised that I was to be defeated by language.

And yet I was so close. For just five floors above me, Maggie was fast asleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home