Friday, October 20, 2006

Time limit

January 2003

So I knew what was coming next.

‘Honey…… so how will you get the job in Hong Kong, if there is nothing for you to do here?’

I didn’t have chance to think.

‘My transfer to Hong Kong depends on the office there winning a new contract. When they get the work, I will be able to start. At the moment, they don’t have enough work to justify my coming over. You know, it is very expensive to employ me in Hong Kong.’
‘So how long do we have to wait?’
‘I don’t know. That is why I have never been able to give you a definite answer. You now I don’t want to make promises I can’t keep.’

I was pleased with that. This was a good turn around. Now I was showing myself in a rather positive light.

‘I understand honey, nothing is perfect, right? But you know I told family that we will marry at Easter. How can we marry, if you are still living in the UK?’

I didn’t know quite what she meant by that. I was quiet for a minute or two, and then when I did answer, I lowered my voice in an attempt to portray unhappiness.

‘Well there isn’t much I can do. They should win this contract, but if they don’t then………. Then I don’t know. I am very disappointed.’

‘Honey I understand, I just don’t want to wait, you know this is hard for us, I always want us to be together as soon as possible.’
‘So what do you want to do?’
‘Nothing. Just don’t want too much waiting’
‘So what is your time limit?’
‘What does that mean; time limit?’
‘Ok. At what point will you decide to give up waiting. How long before you decide that you don’t want to wait for me anymore?’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home