Thursday, November 02, 2006

Two dictionaries

October 2006

She brought two dictionaries, one Russian to English, the other English to Russian.

We drank our coffee, she knew the word for cappuccino, although she didn’t know Starbucks. I thought everyone knew Starbucks. Then we managed to plan a trip to Aphrodite’s Rock, but she had to be back by six it seemed.

We went back to our rooms, as she said she wanted to swim, and she needed her bikini, and then we set off.

I found a small bay on the way, where we swam, and then sat on the rather expensive sun loungers. The weather turned cold, we sat looking at each other, I thought she wanted me to hold her, to keep her warm, but how could I know?

Using the dictionaries, we managed some form of discussion. Then I said, I want to teach you an English word. This is a kiss; I leaned over and kissed her lips. She laughed and found a word in her dictionary, its English translation being; cunning.

I told her that I liked to write. She asked me to send her some of my writing. She said she would give me her email address.

Then she said ‘I like you’. She gave me her hand, and I ran my hand through her red hair. Surely all the signs were good, and yet I held back, I didn’t want her to think I was doing this for sex, it was more than that. It always was. And I thought of the awkward journey back, if she refused.

As the weather didn’t improve, we drove on to Aphrodite’s Rock, we held hands as we walked along the beach and climbed the rock.

We hardly talked as I drove back. She sat there smiling. As soon as I’d parked the car, I reminded her about the email address, my timing was deliberate. She smiled, she was confused I think.

When the lift stopped on her floor, I got out with her. I pulled her close, and kissed her on both cheeks, a goodbye kiss. ‘We finish now?’ It was a question, I knew what it was. I shrugged, I of course, I wanted to be with her, but how?

‘Ok, goodbye’ she said. ‘Thank you’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home