Monday, December 11, 2006

No

February 2003

A few moments later we were sat around a small table, with a coffee pot in front of us. Maggie’s sister poured, and the conversation turned to weddings. They were supposed to be getting married later in the year, although it seemed unclear when.

The possibility of a joint wedding was mentioned. I was careful not to express any opinion, although of course, it was absolutely impossible. Errol kept making faces, as if to express his fear, the reluctance he felt or the pressure he was under. I smiled. I didn’t mind encouraging him.

Then he asked me, ‘have you ever been married before?’

‘No’ said Maggie emphatically, and nothing more was said. She looked rather animated, I noticed.

Maggie said we would get married around Easter time. She didn’t say anything about her plan to leave Hong Kong. Maggie’s sister said that in that case we would be married before them. I was asked how I feel about marrying Maggie.

‘Very happy’ I said, hoping I looked sincere.

Maggie didn’t drink her coffee, she never did, ‘not good for skin’ she said.

We continued shopping for a while, I bought a pair of sunglasses costing less than £1. I thought I better go back with something. Then as Errol negotiated for a few more watches, Maggie asked me to wait whilst she and her sister went shopping alone for a few minutes.

When she returned, I was told that what she’d bought was a secret, and that I would find out later. It was late now, and time to leave. I soon forgot all about Maggie’s secret.

Maggie and I were to travel back alone, as Errol had to go to Guangdong for work. We stood outside the train station, and said our goodbyes. Errol shook my hand and said ‘nice meeting you, your quite a guy’

I never saw him again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home