Friday, June 09, 2006

Don't cry

December 2002

I didn't answer her. In part I was more than a little surprised, and I did wonder if it was meant as a joke. She looked serious enough, though.

I excused myself and went to the gents, 'bloody hell' I said out loud, as I closed the cubicle door.

I returned to find that the waiter had delivered our food. 'Would you like to try a bit of fish?' I asked Maggie.

So the question went unanswered, and from my point of view, it was partially forgotten.

We left the restaurant, and walked back to Maggie's house. I didn't go in; we said our goodbyes by the steps leading into her apartment block, just as we'd done the night we first met.

We held each other for as long as possible, but it was never going to be long enough. And then, I had to leave. 'I love you' she said, as I kissed her gently on the forehead.

The taxi headed back to the hotel, where I was meeting Henry for a quick drink. I sat motionless, staring out the window, with an overwhelming sense of sadness. I passed the usual hordes, as the taxi went back through Central; none of them had to leave here tonight.

My phone rang. 'Honey...... I miss you'
For a while I couldn't answer, then 'I miss you too'
'Come back soon' Her voice was full of sorrow.

And with that I burst into an uncontrollable fit of sobbing. I couldn't speak, my body shook, I let the sorrow consumed me, I couldn't do otherwise. 'Oh honey don't cry, honey I love you, don't cry'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home