Monday, June 12, 2006

I immediately knew what it was

December 2002

I did all the wrong things.....

I had a couple of beers with Henry, before collecting my luggage and jumping in another taxi. I tried to make pleasant conversation, but my heart just wasn't in it. Fortunately, since we were part of a small group, my mood was less apparent.

Maggie called again, as the taxi headed towards the airport; another emotional conversation.

On the plane, I drank at least three glasses of red wine before we got airborne, the drinks are always free flowing in upper class, then two or three more with my dinner.

I fell asleep soon after, and didn't wake up again until breakfast.

When I got back to my car, which was surrounded by snow, I called Maggie to let her know that I had landed. I couldn't hold back the tears as we spoke; it was, I believe, my lowest moment. For although, I would shed tears again, in the years that followed; these are the last that were
genuine.

The next two days were a hectic mix of meetings and long journey's. Leaving the airport, I drove to my flat in London. After freshening up, I went straight to the office, and from the office I drove the 150 mile journey home.

The following morning, I was up early, driving back to the London office, only to return home again that evening, a 300 mile round trip. In two days, I spent more time in the car than I had on the plane. In a 48 hour period, I spent more than 30 hours traveling.

I did all the wrong things.....

So, what happened next was not such a big surprise; I was almost home, when I suddenly felt an incredible pain in my right leg. I immediately knew what it was.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Johnson said...

Oh no! I think I know what is coming next. If it is what I think, I'm glad you survived!

3:39 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Vehicular accident?

9:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whilst browsing through Gumtree.com I came across your post regarding "writing a noval" asking for an opinion on your writing. Having only read this only post a few useful comments came to mind. Please take these comments as constructive and not a smudge on your efforts.

Firstly, I found your writing/story telling did not flow. You are using too many 'comma's' and 'full stops'.

Secondly, in the short extract you coover a long time period. What else was going through your mind whilst on the aeroplane? What did you see from the taxi ride? What were your companions wearing.
These details although not important to the core context help to create the environment your in.

Someday I wish to write a noval. Perhaps you could help me too.

Leo Swan
http://urbandasilva.blogspot.com/

10:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good stuff, "I" think you have got talent!

It would have been a far better read, if you had not used as many "I"s and commas.

:)

11:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home