Friday, July 14, 2006

'Congratulations'

January 2003

We spent a good couple of hours sat in the shop, being served by a very attentive man in his early thirties. I noticed that all the male sales staff were very friendly, saying 'hello' and 'how are you?'. The female staff, however, seemed quite the opposite, although they were all watching Maggie rather intently.

One girl in particular annoyed Maggie, 'look at that bad attitude sales girl' she said, 'always giving me the long face'

Eventually Maggie narrowed the choice down to two. By now, it seemed that we had been in the shop for hours, the staff kept bringing us fresh cups of green tea, and I desperately needed the toilet.

'Which one do you like best, honey?'

I calculated the price in my head, it was much more than I'd anticipated, even at the current generous exchange rate. 'Shit' I thought, 'how can I hide a sum like that?'

I said 'they are both beautiful, babe' hoping she would choose the slightly cheaper one.

I paid by credit card; thinking that that way the transaction would be less visible. The sales guy shook my hand. 'Congratulations' he said, as he handed me the box. Maggie stood at my side, expectantly. I kissed her, 'happy birthday, babe'

Then turning to the sales guy, I asked, 'could I use your toilet?'

Maggie was looking rather surprised, 'Honey..............?' she said
'Just teasing, babe'

Opening the box, I took her hand, and slipped the ring onto her finger. She wiped a single tear from her eye. 'I am so happy' she said, 'let me call my mother'.

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Funny how what should be the happiest moments of our lives can sometimes be the saddest instead. I feel sad for both you and Maggie.

1:41 am  
Blogger Lisa Johnson said...

Why, why, why!!!??

6:25 am  
Blogger something from me said...

You shouldn't feel sad for me babe.

11:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home